One Click Translation!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Rock Creek, Little Lakes Basin, CA, USA - Oct. 24, 2011





More Pictures!


I guess the time had to come:  We must leave Rock Creek.  If it wasn't for another SAP demo, we would probably be here until the day French Camp closes--November 1st at 10:00 a.m. (so say all the warning signs.)


For our last full day we decided to hike up Little Lakes Basin again--we just can't get enough.  I put some bread on to rise, we drove up to the trail head and set out for Long Lake at a little over two miles.  


Although the hike was as wonderful as ever (I dare anyone who claims not to be a hiker to go one mile down this trail and see if it doesn't change your mind about hiking), the day was a whopping 20 degrees colder!  The wind was gusting and cutting right through my clothes but Alan and the Noses seemed just fine.


We had a quick lunch and mini fishing expedition at Long Lake, Alan catching one little Brookie that we set free.  By now, I had put on all the clothes I had in my pack:  Five layers on my top including three hats--I kid you not (there are no photos of this fashion extravaganza.)  We headed back out as the clouds gathered, making it to the car by 3:00 or so.


Fish-less, but determined not to remain that way, we stopped at what Alan calls The Fish Market (formerly reported as Alan's Lucky Fishing Hole) on the way back to camp.  Indeed, it is like a market for him, he barely puts more energy into fishing there than he would pointing through a glass case and saying, "I'll take two of the pan-sized trout, please."


Sure enough, he almost immediately caught an 11" trout and I was immediately glad that I had put some bread on to rise.  I have been lax in my fish catching and felt I wasn't pulling my Hunting & Gathering weight.   We have been so prolific in fishing (well, Alan has) that we decided a few days ago to stop fishing when we had enough for dinner, no matter who had caught what.  So the pressure was on, would I catch one before Alan caught another, thus calling an end to the day's fishing?


"I'm going to need the net!", we both exclaimed in unison, as I flung my 9" trout up to the bank just as Alan was reeling in another 11"er.  We kept them both and ate all three for dinner with fresh baked Parmesan Herb Bread.


As a follow-up and to tie up all the pieces of these lovely nine days:  On Sunday we were fishing the creek that runs through the campground, Alan had (as usual) caught two 11"ers and set about cleaning them.  He gutted them and then took them to the water's edge for a washing.  When he returned, his knife was no where to be found.  We looked in the creek (memories of the camera anyone?) and around the shore, but finally found it about 20 yards into the woods.  Taken there by You Know Who.  Does anyone doubt she took the camera now?


Off to the Westin Monache in Mammoth for two glorious nights and one (hopefully) glorious SAP demo.  Then we are high-tailing it up to Lee Vining and Yosemite before our lucky weather runs out!


-K



No comments:

Post a Comment